Thursday, February 16, 2006

Um, where have all the wormies gone?

So, remember when we got those worms? Well, now they don’t seem to be there anymore. I mean, you buy a pound of worms… that should be like, 300-500 worms or something right? And we did lose a few due to stress in the shipping. But I looked in the worm bin just the other day, after leaving them alone for a few days and now they seem to be… gone. What happened? Did they die and their worm corpses are have already decomposed? Well, they’re not TOTALLY gone. I saw a few baby worms here and there. But no adult worms. I even looked around the bin, on the table, on the floor. No worms.

There are, however, these teeny white mites, which I’m told are some of the organisms typically seen in worm bins. They aid with the decomp. So did they go to town on the adult worms? I’m confused. I checked the moisture level and gave them some food scraps and decided to leave them alone for a couple of days. Hopefully those baby worms will grow and breed and we can get the population up again.

I’m mystified.

No comments: